Welcome to the North West LHIN's eHealth section. We hope you’ll find everything you need to know about eHealth. But before we go into the details, we need to know what eHealth is.
To guide the implementation and use of technology that helps improve health outcomes, increases access to care, and ensures the effective and efficient delivery of healthcare services – putting patients first.
An integrated, adaptable, secure and sustainable technology ecosystem that supports health system transformation in the North West LHIN.
What is eHealth?
The use of technology to improve patient health outcomes, increase accessibility to quality health care, and ensure the effective and efficient delivery of healthcare services - in a manner that protects patient/client privacy and security.
eHealth is a key enabler of systemic change in Ontario and holds the potential to enhance patient care, safety and access. It’s about harnessing the power of information technology and innovation to improve the delivery of health care for all patients and their providers.
eHealth is all about connections and relationships: patient to doctor, doctor to doctor, provider to provider, doctor to specialist, clinic to hospital, city to region.
We think that eHealth’s potential is limitless. It has the power to make health care more effective and efficient, the power to improve service to patients, and the power to make our health care system better.
Successes achieved through eHealth should help deliver better and safer health care, resulting in a healthier Ontario population. Improved system management will lead to a more efficient and effective system of care. eHealth applications such as telemedicine are particularly important in a region like the Northwest, with very large distances between populations and providers.
What eHealth Can Do for You?
The goals of eHealth are to use information technology to modernize the health system, and to provide better and safer patient care. The anticipated qualitative benefits of eHealth are the following:
- Healthier people: eHealth helps Ontarians to manage their own health and health care, reduces preventable errors and empowers people and their health providers with their timely and accurate health information.
- Better health decisions and productivity: Secure access for health providers to comprehensive patient information will help them make better diagnoses and save valuable time.
- Better administrative and system-wide resource allocation: Health administrators and planners have the accurate and timely information needed to support long-term system planning, measurement, and continuous Improvement.
The Emerging Benefits of Electronic Medical Record Use in Community-based Care (PDF)
What you will find in this section of the website
- eHealth in the North West LHIN
- eHealth Services Plan 2013 - 2016
- Our Priorities and Current Projects
- Project Management Office (PMO)
- What eHealth can do for you
- Contact Us