North West LHIN Regional Orthopaedics Program
Delivering Musculoskeletal Care in a Different Way to Enhance Patient Care Experience
The North West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN’s) Regional Orthopaedics Program meets the needs for people with conditions such as back pain, traumatic injuries, arthritis, and hip and knee osteoarthritis. The residents in the North West LHIN face a higher than average prevalence of risk factors for musculoskeletal disease and disease burden; higher than average use of orthopaedic surgical services in the region; and have their care needs met through a diverse group of providers and organizations throughout the region. With population aging, the North West LHIN is also projected to face significant growth in the prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders. In order to meet this challenge, a Regional Orthopaedics Program for the North West LHIN has been created.
The approval of the Program follows extensive research, analysis, and consultation led by a regional skill based steering committee comprised of health care practitioners, administrators, and patients from across the North West LHIN.
- Residents in the North West LHIN face a higher than average prevalence of risk factors for musculoskeletal disease and disease burden, and higher than average use of orthopaedic surgical services in the region
- There are a diverse range of organizations and practitioners involved in the musculoskeletal care across the region.
- With population aging, the North West LHIN is projected to face growth in the prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders and subsequent demand for health services.
- The North West LHIN Regional Orthopaedics Program will improve health care delivery and allow Northwestern residents to access high quality musculoskeletal care for conditions such as back and spinal pain, injuries, arthritis, knee and hip fractures, as close to home as possible.
- The North West LHIN Regional Orthopaedics Program will deliver high quality care to the residents at the right time, in the right place, as close to home as possible.
- The North West LHIN Regional Orthopaedics Program will result in the shift from the current state of a non-formalized network of providers and organizations working independently to provide patient care, to a formalized programmatic approach focused on maximizing health outcomes for patients with musculoskeletal disease and disability across the region.
- The Regional Orthopaedics Program has been developed in alignment with the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care’s Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care, the North West LHIN Strategic Directions, Integrated Health Service Plan (IHSP) 2016-19, and North West LHIN Health Services Blueprint.
Petronilla Ndebele, Director, Corporate Communications & Community Engagement
807-684-9425, extension 2039
Toll free 1-866-907-5446, extension 2039